Tuesday 23 February 2016

Top Ten Tuesday Forty

Top Ten Books I enjoyed recently that weren't from my typical genre

Top ten tuesday is a weekly feature/ meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.  This week's topic was one I found quite hard as alot of the books I read are from genres I often read from, and so I only had a small number to pick from.  Nonetheless, here are some of my favourite books from genres I normally don't read from - enjoy! 


1) The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey - Sci-fi and alien- post-apocalyptic books are not normally my thing at all, but thought I give this one a go after the summary drew me in straight away, and ended up absolutely loving it.  I have now read the sequel and have recommended it to anyone who would listen, and I can't wait for the final one to be released later this year! 
*
2) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - It's safe to say that almost all of the books I read are YA, so when it was definitely a change when I picked this one up early last year.  I still have very mixed views on this one but all in all I did enjoy it and know that at the least it has made me curious to try out more adult literature soon.  


3) Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo -  Another genre I hardly ever read is fantasy, and so when I saw this one around I was instantly intrigued and so decided to pick it up anyway.  And, I am so glad I did, as it ended up being one of favourites of last year, and has made me seriously excited to pick up some more fantasy very soon. 
*
4) Wonder by R. J. Palacio - I'm unsure as to whether this counts as a children's book as I have heard it called YA, but I am counting it as it did feel like one to me.  Nonetheless, this is one I did not expect to be picking up last summer but I am so happy I did as it was such a heartwarming story that I thoroughly enjoyed.  



5) Across the Universe by Beth Revis - I read very little sci-fi and so I actually picked this one up as an attempt to read more of it, especially after reading The 5th Wave earlier on in the year.  I really enjoyed this one, and can't wait to carry on, and so I'm glad I left my reading comfort zone to pick it up! 
*
6)  Half Bad by Sally Green -  Finally, this is one I didn't expect to like in the slightest after DNFing it once before, and so was at the point of giving up when I decided to give this one last try.  It was so different to what I normally read with witches being something I had never really encountered before, and so I was pleasantly surprised when I ended up really enjoying this one.


7) The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough - This was my favourite book of last year, which is incredibly surprising considering it is a historical fiction novel, a genre I rarely dip into but always love when I do.  It's such a beautiful book and has quickly become one of my all time favourites, so hopefully I will try some more historical fiction soon.  

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved Shadow and Bone, it was one of my favourite trilogies I read in 2014! And you have to read Six of Crows, it's so good! I loved The 5th Wave when I read it, but didn't really enjoy The Infinite Sea, I don't know if I'll read the last book, because it's been such a long time since I read the first two... Accross the Universe is a great trilogy, it's because of it that I started reading sci-fi books actually. I had mixed feelings about Half Bad, but doesn't really want to continue... :/ I'm glad you enjoyed all of these books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you enjoyed the Grisha trilogy and the Across the Universe trilogy - I'm really looking forward to picking up the sequels and later Six of Crows. I'll personally really enjoyed The Infinite Sea and sorry you didn't, but hope if you do continue you enjoy the last one. Half Bad I was also a little mixed about in parts so I understand why you didn't like it. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I did recently read The 5th Wave and finished the Grisha trilogy last year. I enjoyed both and glad you got to dive into them as well! Also you should try Bardugo's new duology Six of Crows since it takes place in the same Grisha world just in a different part of the world and it's about a heist!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them as well, and I can't wait to read the rest of the Grisha Trilogy! I'm really excited to read Six of Crows, but really want to finish the Grisha trilogy first, but hopefully I can get round to all this year at some point as I'm really up for reading about a heist!

      Delete
  3. You and me both about The 5th Wave. I loved it! I was so surprised because I don't do aliens and all that sci-fi stuff. I haven't read the sequel, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. I need to get on that. :) Happy reading! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved The 5th Wave as well, especially if like me you don't do sci-fi - I'm really not into that normally! Hope you enjoy the sequel when you get to it and happy reading too! :)

      Delete