Sunday 10 April 2016

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare



After recently watching (and loving) the Shadowhunters TV show, I thought that it was about time I continued on with the books as it had been a good while since I read City of Fallen Angels last year.  So, I picked up this, the fifth installment in the Mortal Instruments series, pretty much knowing I would at least enjoy it - and I wasn't wrong!  I ended up really loving this one, possibly not as much as City of Fallen Angels, but nonetheless it was still a great continuation of the series and I'm really glad I finally read it, leaving me with just one book left before I finish the series!

Seeing as this is the fifth book in the series, I don't want to give too much away in terms of plot for anyone who has yet to read it, but what I will say is that this one wasn't as fast paced as some of the others have been.  The main storyline did take a while to get going, but overall I didn't have a huge problem with this as I felt like it needed to be a little bit slower in order to for everything to come together.  Having said that, a little bit more action never goes amiss!


Due to this, we did get to see a little more of some of the characters, and as someone who adores so many of the ones in this series, I wasn't complaining.  I really enjoyed seeing more of Simon and Izzy, and I'm really glad we got to see more of her softer side in this installment, as well as seeing Maia and Jordan pop up again from time to time.  I also found that Jace really grew on me as a character in this one, when before I was never too sure how I felt about him.  And as always, I was glad to see Alec and Magnus involved in the action, but I don't think that will ever change.

Back to the plot, I really enjoyed the direction the series took in this one.  I liked how the sides and groups of people working together changed and how their seemed to be two main storylines instead of one at certain points, something which actually made things quite interesting to see different sides both working towards the same goal.  Weirdly, I also didn't mind the little subplots we got, and I actually really liked the break they gave from the central plot.


One aspect which I found was a lot more prominent in this book was the romance.  It seemed like alot more happened between the couples in this books, with some moving more slowly than others, and others with more tension between them.  I actually liked pretty much all of the romance in this one, which is surprising because before this book I wasn't as big a fan of a certain couple as I am now.  However, I am still recovering from something that happened at the end of this book, but that's all I will say.  Just prepare yourself.

Finally, I adored the ending of this book.  I felt like it gave us a snippet of what's to come without revealing all and I love how it set things up for the final book.  I also really liked certain plot twists that came just a few pages from the end, with one of them taking me completely by surprise whilst still working so well.


Overall, I really did enjoy this one.  Despite not being action packed or amazingly fast paced, I still found myself really enjoying this, and I can't tell you how excited I am to read City of Heavenly Fire!

 Favourite:
Characters:  Simon, Izzy, Magnus ( I can't choose!)
Scene:  The ending (don't want to spoil anything)
Quote: Too much of anything could destroy you, Simon thought.  Too much darkness could kill, but too much light could blind.

Relate a:
Song: Silhouettes - Of Monsters and Men 

No comments:

Post a Comment