Saturday 20 December 2014

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn

Review:

This is the first Christmassy book I have read, despite only realizing it was set over  Christmas last week, and I honestly loved it! I know I say this about sooo many books, but this time I truly mean it.  This quirky book made me laugh out loud whilst still causing me to think, all the while getting me even more festive than I was before!

Firstly, the concept: it is so unique and nothing like I've read before, but it works so well! It takes the cliche way of falling in love through letters and completely turns it on its head, making it funnier and more realistic than you ever could have guessed.  The storyline also allows you not only to know them through words, but as people, something even the main characters are behind you on.  It lets you peek into both of their lives and watch as they intertwine throughout the book.

Now, no book is complete without good characters; and, personally, I loved all of these! I liked how different all the characters were, particularly Dash and Lily, who weren't the classic 'meant to be' type.  They all seemed so real that I often found myself relating to Lily, a girl who was nothing like I expected her to be, and sometimes even Dash, whose love of words really connects to a reader.  

Another element that unusually drew me in was the setting.  I loved the references to book shops and overall just the entire location of New York over Christmas and New Year.  The many everyday places that creep up through the story also keep it close to normality, just with a few magical touches! 

So, if you haven't already guessed, I adore this book!  It's just so quirky and unique that I couldn't help but love it.  If your looking for a book to read, then definitely pick it up, before Christmas passes, because this is certainly worth a read! 

Quotes (Again, way too in this book for me to just write down three):

It's that leap, that understanding that leads to meaning.  A lot of the time in life we're still just sounding things out.  We know the sentences and how to say them.  we know the ideas and how to present them.  We know the prayers and which words to say in what order.  But that's only spelling.  
 The notebook is a strange instrument - the player doesn't know the music until it's being played.
Yes, girls want their princes, but boys want their princesses just as much... Be careful what you're doing, because no one is ever who you want them to be.  And the less you really know them, you more likely you are to confuse them with the girl or boy in your head.
We all just took the bookshop at its word, because if you couldn't trust a bookshop, what could you trust?
Fate has a strange way of making plans.

Songs:

Somebody Out There - A Rocket to the Moon - I feel as though a lot of this book is about the person in your head, and finding them, and so this song fits quite well with this.
Happily Ever After - He is We - I think this relates mostly to the end, but also kind of the beginning, as it talks about going for something out of your comfort zone, plus the bridge fits perfectly with the book.
Everybody - Ingrid Michaelson - This is just so quirky and fits sooo well to the story.

Other books:

Let it Snow by Various Authors - Another Christmassy book containing three short stories that all intertwine...
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith - Another short romantic story about two people who meet in an unexpected way. 
How They Met by David Levithan - A collection of romantic short stories, some which are quite quirky.  

No comments:

Post a Comment