Monday 27 June 2016

May/June Wrap Up

Another wrap up here - this time its my May/ June one!  Once again, I have decided to combine these two months as I honestly got no reading done at all through either of them.  Despite this, I am not too disappointed with how much I got done, particularly in June, as they were honestly two of the busiest months I have had with so much of my time taken up with revision and exams that hardly in the end I had hardly any time or energy to get some reading done.  Nonetheless, I did still manage to read three books, with hopefully a fourth read before the month is out, and so, enjoy! 




1) Night Owls by Jenn Bennett

I actually started this one after having to give up on The Iron Queen early in May, and so wanted a book I could quickly get into and wouldn't be too hard of a read as I was in a really bad reading slump at the time.  This seemed like the perfect book as it was only 300 odd pages and so it wasn't a long one and is a contemporary, a genre of book that I find usually really help to get me back into reading.  It follows Beatrix as she meets Jack on the Night Bus one night, and as they slowly begin to get to know each other whilst also both facing other problems and challenges in their lives as well.  In the end, I'm glad I did give this one a read as I did really enjoy the storyline as well as all of the main characters, and do think it was good little contemporary that actually ended up being a lot more than I expected it to be.  

Rating - 4/5




2) An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

This was one of my spontaneous reads which I never expected to be picking up but was so glad I did.  I'd heard of this one a while ago when it was first released, but at the time didn't seem too interested in ever reading until I finally actually properly read the synopsis recently.  This one tells the story of both Elias, a Mask who soon plans to desert and risk death by doing so, and Laia, a Scholar who has to call on the Resistance for help to recover her brother after the Masks take everything from her.   I loved the fast paced story and the gripping plot with so many amazing plot twists that I never saw coming.  I also adored the characters in this, and so can't wait to revisit them all in the sequel that is released in only a couple of months time! 

Rating  - 5/5



3) A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness - 

Another one here that I picked up on a whim after my sister recommended it.  Although I hadn't heard a ton about the actual story about this and so wasn't entirely sure what to expect exactly, I had heard very good things about it and so knew it would be worthwhile read.  This one follows Connor as things start to change after an unexpected monsters shows up to his bedroom one night.  I ended up reading this one in only a day and so clearly also really enjoying, with the whole concept one I really did love.  I'm also now really anticipating the movie that comes out later this year, and am really interested to see how it all translates across to the screen, hopefully well!   

Rating - 4.5/5



Currently Reading - Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo  -

Finally, I thought I would quickly mention the book I am currently making my way through, this being the second installment in the Grisha Trilogy, Siege and Storm.  I adored the first book and so far am really enjoying being back in its world, as well as watching how the story is slowly being to unfold.  Hopefully I can finish this really soon! 


What books have you read over the last few months?


*

No comments:

Post a Comment