Sunday 28 August 2016

August Wrap Up


I think its safe to say this month was definitely a very mixed one for me on the reading front, with some of my books becoming new favourites, some just being enjoyable and some I unfortunately didn't enjoy much at all.  However, it was definitely the best month in a long time for how much I actually managed to read, the majority of that being down to the fact that I am currently on my summer holidays.  Overall, I read three of the books on my August TBR, as well as two others that weren't, but that I was also planning to read this month if I was in the mood for them.  And so, enjoy!  


1) The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey - 

This one was actually a reread for me, as I needed to refresh myself of the plot before finally reading the final book in this series, The Last Star.  Somehow, I actually ended up enjoying it more this time around than the first time I read it, likely because I was paying more attention to things I had missed last time and so could understand all of the story alot better than I had on my initial reading of it.

Rating - 4.5/5



2) The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson - 

After reading The Infinite Sea, I decided it was time to pick up a contemporary for the summertime, and so choose to give this one a go as I haven't read anything by Jandy Nelson before, and was just really interested in the whole synopsis of this one as well.  This one tells the story of Lennie as she has to deal with the sudden death of her sister, whilst finding herself juggling Toby, her sister's boyfriend and Joe, the new boy in town.  I have to say whilst I did enjoy this one, and really liked how it dealt with grief, I didn't end up loving it as wasn't a huge lover of the plot as a whole. 

Rating - 3/5




This was the first of my highly anticipated reads for the month, as this one had been on my shelf for probably a year now, as I was just waiting for the perfect time to finally get round to this one.  It follows a boy and a girl as they become friends after sharing an abnormal interest in murder and begin investigating those happening in their town.  Unfortunately, I didn't end up enjoying this one much at all, as it just wasn't what I was expecting going into it and I didn't find the story anywhere near as creepy as I thought it would be.  

Rating - 2/5


4) The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald -  

As I said in my TBR for this month, I actually had to read this one for school, and so this one was a must read for me for August.  As I'm sure alot of people know, this one tells the story of Jay Gatsby and his relationship with Daisy as told through the eyes of Nick Carraway.  I was so nervous for this one, but thankfully I ended up absolutely adoring everything about it, from the story and characters to the beautiful writing that I just couldn't get enough of.  It has made me desperately want to read more of F. Scott Fitzgerald's work and is most definitely one of my new favourites.  

Rating - 5/5




I have to admit that out of all of the books on my TBR for this month, this was the one I was most excited and nervous to read, after We All Looked Up became an instant favourite of mine last year.  This one follows our main character of Parker as he meets and ends up sharing many adventures with a silver haired girl named Zelda who claims to be alot older than she seems.  Fortunately, my anticipation and nerves were quickly put to rest as I loved this book from the first chapter and found myself instantly falling in love with the characters, story and writing style once again.  It was as good, if not better than We All Looked Up for me, and just like before I am now left already highly anticipating his next release.

Rating - 5/5 



What books did you read this month?  Which one was your favourite?  Have you read any of these - what did you think? 




No comments:

Post a Comment