Tuesday 25 August 2015

Top Ten Tuesday Fifteen

Top Ten books that would be on your syllabus if you taught YA contemporary 101

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature/meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.  After skipping last week, I decided that I had to participate in this one as it allowed me to talk about one of my most read genres and some of my favourite books from that.  So here is my list for my top ten books that would be on my syllabus if I taught YA contemporary 101: 

1) Looking For Alaska by John Green - Not only is this one of my favourite contemporaries anyway, but it also has one of the biggest (and best in my opinion) plot twists that I think I ever read; it's also just a great book anyway!
2) Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins - This is likely one of, if not my favourite YA contemporary romance, so I couldn't imagine not adding this one in.  

3) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - I feel as though this is one of the better known YA contemporaries, so it was almost guaranteed a spot on here as it's not only an amazing read but also deals with so many deeper issues as well.  

4) We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach - I loved this book so much that I felt I just had to include it, with the split POV and just the concept of it being amazing.  

5) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - I feel as though I'd have to include this one for both plot twist (as this one also contains a huge one) as well as for the unique, almost lyrical style of writing, something I believe adds so much to this book.  

6) Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson - Morgan Matson is known for adding extra little twists and added content into her books (e.g. receipts, lists, playlists - my personal favourite), and so it was only right to put this one onto the list as an example of how you can add things like that into a contemporary novel.  

7) Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan and John Green - This is another one which I absolutely adore, putting it almost straight on this list.  

4 comments:

  1. The Perks of Being A Wallflower is on my TBR, I've seen the film but I'd like to read the book as well.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/top-ten-tuesday-19/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'd definitely read the book as well the films not too far away from it but I'd always say read the book as well!

      Delete
  2. We have a couple of the same books. I haven't heard of Tommy Wallach. I'll have to check that one out :) Great list.
    Mine: http://lesliehauser.com/2015/08/25/top-ten-tuesday-ya-contemporary-101-syllabus/

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe We All Looked Up is his only book but I'd definitely check it out as it is a great one.

      Delete