Friday 2 January 2015

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Review:

First post of the new year! So this was the very last book I read in 2014 (not counting the two New Yearsy short stories I read), and overall I had very mixed reviews on it.  I read this, as most people would have, because I read If I Stay in the summer, and so picked this 
up as soon as I found out about it.  

As I have already said, personally I didn't enjoy this book anywhere near as much as the first book.  However, as I got through the book, I did get a lot more gripped, but I still feel as though I should have been hooked from the first chapter, not from halfway through.  

Firstly, the plot line took a while to really get going.  A lot of the beginning focused on stuff that I wasn't actually interested, and even once Adam was reunited with Mia, the event that the entire book is meant to be based around, it still didn't become interesting until a little way further in.  This was my main problem with the book, although eventually it did begin to pick up, but like I've said before, this only happened around halfway through.  

My other problem with this was the constant and in my opinion pointless flashbacks.  In the beginning they worked and helped to shape the last 3 years of both their lives, but as the story progressed they began to get repetitive and just went back over information that you could easily guess at.  I think that a few would have worked well, but the amount that were put in was just too many for me. 

Despite my mainly negative comment so far, there were some aspects of the book. that I did like.  As I have said before, I much preferred the end of the book to the beginning, and this may be to do with the plot twist that comes at around three-quarters of the way through.  I think this definitely added a touch of surprise as this was one thing which I didn't see coming and I liked how this ended the book. 

Another aspect I enjoyed but would have liked to have been played on more would have to be the trips around New York.  I adore the idea of exploring and so this feature made me extremely excited to read on about various places, but, I still would have loved to have seen more of this make it's way into the story line.

So overall I wasn't amazed by this book, but did like the closure it gave me on both Adam and Mia's lives.  I would say that if you are looking for a slower contemporary, then pick this up, but personally I don't think I was particularly wanting such a book, so please tell me if I did just read this at the wrong time.


Quotes:

"I've come to realize there's a world of difference between knowing something happened, even knowing why it happened, and believing it."
“Letting go. Everyone talks about it like it's the easiest thing. Unfurl your fingers one by one until your hand is open.”“In the calculus of feelings, you never really know how one person's absence will affect you more than another's.” 

Songs:

Cello Suite no.1 (Prelude) - Bach - Despite stealing this one from the playlist at the end of the book, this piece truly is one that reminds of both of the books.
Wild Horses - The Rolling Stones - This was another listed at the end, but I liked the involvement of this in the book and so wanted to add it in as well. 
Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day - In my opinion this truly summaries Adam's feelings, particularly his at the very beginning of the book. 

Other books:

If I Stay by Gayle Forman - I know that most people who want to read Where She Went or already have, have almost certainly read this, but I really enjoyed this first book and so felt it only fitting to recommend.  
Forgotten by Cat Patrick - A contemporary with a twist, I love this book but can't really share why I particularly think these two are alike as it gives away major plot twists - Sorry!
Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson - (review here)Another contemporary here, and one that some people may not think relate in any other way, but they do both share the link of music, even if the added use of it is different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment