Tuesday 26 July 2016

Top Ten Tuesday Sixty

Top Ten Books that made me want to research/ learn more about something after reading

Top ten tuesday is a weekly feature/ meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.  This weeks topic was one I was really interested in as it was a quite different to normal topics to me, and so I really wanted to see which books had interested me and made me interested in new topics.  It was nice to look back and see which books had included an aspect which I found fascinating or intriguing, especially as this isn't something I would usually ever do.  And so, enjoy!


1) Night Owls by Jenn Bennett - 

One of the main things I loved about this was the artistic aspect of this, especially the anatomical, medical art that Beatrix does, as it was something I had never thought of before at all.  Not only was it something new, but it also really intrigued me as it combines two subjects I enjoy, and so its safe to say this one definitely made me want to find out more about it afterwards.

2) The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough - 

As soon as I found out this book was set in 1930's America when I first started this one, I was instantly more interested as its era I'm interested in but don't know a huge amount about.  So not only did I love how this one included a bit of history within it, but it also then reminded me of my interest in this era and made me want to research and find out more about it straight away. 


3) The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart - 

Although I wasn't a huge fan of this book as a whole, one thing that really did interest me was the idea of secret societies that was quite key in this one.  It's another subject I knew nothing about, as alot of these are, so seeing a little glimpse of them in this made me at least want to look at a little bit more about them and understand some more about them.

4) The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig - 

Before reading this, I honestly knew nothing about Hawaii in general, let alone any of its history, so I really enjoyed learning something about the place and about certain events in its past whilst reading this one.  And so then after finishing this one, I was really interested in learning more about what happened and then more about other aspects of Hawaii's history as well.


5) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - 

I'll be the first to admit that I love history and so I already know a fair bit about Germany during and in the years before World War Two anyway from school.  But still, somehow this one managed to not only grip me with the history I already knew, but also made me want to find out even more life in Germany during that period.

6) The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - 

One of the key things that really interested me in this was the unique concept of ley lines and energy along them, as I had heard and knew almost nothing about them.  The whole idea of them and all the other similar aspects in this story really piqued my interest and definitely made me want to find out more about them as soon as I finished reading.


7) The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - 

I think it was the setting of this one that first intrigued me, and so I really enjoyed learning about some of the history that came with the place.  And so, after finishing this one I really wanted to find out more about Calcutta as a place and about some of the events that happened around the time the book is set, as alot of the story focused around the mystery.  I was just so intrigued in the background of a place I knew nothing about, particularly after reading a book set there, and so this one definitely made me want to find out more afterwards.

8) Paper Towns by John Green - 

Finally, this one may seem a little different as it doesn't have any historical aspects, but it was the idea of paper towns in this that really intrigued me.  I found it so strange the idea of these towns that didn't really exist and so its safe to say this book really did make me want to check out more about these places after finishing.


What books made you want to learn more about a certain topic?


*

4 comments:

  1. I loved The Book Thief! I've been teaching it in my classes for the past few years and my students always enjoy and learn so much from it. And The Midnight Palace sounds very interesting. I also don't know much about India but it's always interested me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you loved The Book Thief as well - its definitely one of my favourites - and its so cool you have been teaching it! I would also definitely recommend The Midnight Palace as it just another beautifully written book, and it has a really cool setting :)

      Delete
  2. I'd really like to read The Girl from Everywhere at some point because it sounded really interesting. Also, I forgot it was set in Hawaii?! That makes it a bonus must-read!

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Alice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend it, such a good read and the setting is an added bonus!

      Delete