Sunday 6 March 2016

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff




This book was actually one that I got for Christmas last year, and have been wanting to pick up ever since.  Eventually I gave in, and picked it up, despite knowing that the sequel was a long way off.  And I loved it.  It was so unique and amazing and I'm really glad I picked it up, even if I have to wait a while for the second book.


The story follows Ezra and Kady after they are forced to escape their planet at the outbreak of war.  I was a huge fan of this plot, which is saying something for someone who rarely reads sci-fi.  I loved the turns it took and the way a large part of the book unfolded, slowly and subtly so that what started small soon began to grow.  I also liked how some very technical points were threaded seamless in but how you didn't need to understand every detail of them to follow the plot.  It was fast-paced and always kept you guessing.  

The characters were another aspect that kept me hooked throughout the entirety of this book.  Most of the storylines revolve around Kady and Ezra, both of whom I really enjoyed as characters both on their own and together as a pair.  I liked how witty and determined they both were and how they both grew throughout the book.  

However, I couldn't talk about the characters without mentioning AIDAN, the computer that controls the Alexander ship.  Despite not being a actual person in the literal sense, he is such a complex and clever character who holds so much of the spotlight towards the end.  He really makes you think about so many different things and your perspective on life, something I was not expecting from this particularly computer especially.   


Moving back to Ezra and Kady, I have to admit that I loved the relationship between them.  I really enjoyed watching them grow together throughout the book and how their relationship developed so much.  I also really liked the fact that for once the main romance was not between two people who hadn't been together before the book, as Kady and Ezra have a history before everything even starts.  I loved dipping back into this and learning about them before the time in which we are reading about them.  

As I'm sure many will know, a huge part of this book is the way it's written, as the entirety of it is written in emails, surveillance footage, interviews and many other things.  I loved how different and unique this was, but also how there was a reason behind it being this way and well it fitted.  It didn't feel as though a story that was forced into that sort of format, but rather one that worked best in it.  

Finally, how could I not talk about the ending and some of the plot twists?  Personally I loved how things concluded, and really liked how everything suddenly became bigger in the last few pages.  I also loved the plot twists, particularly the first major one.  I liked how bold and shocking it was, but also how well it fitted into the storyline.  I also enjoyed the very last turn this book took, although I do have slightly mixed feelings about it, as it was slightly less of a bold twist.  

Nonetheless, I absolutely adored this book.  It was witty, fun, fast-paced and thoroughly enjoyable.  I loved it and now can't wait to get my hands on the sequel when it is released.  


Favourite:
Character: AIDAN, Ezra 
Scene: Squad entering bay 4 
Quote: Perhaps bravery is simply the face humanity wraps arounds its collective madness

Relate a:
Song: Battle Cry - Imagine Dragons 
Other Book: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey 

Rating:
5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment