Sunday 3 January 2016

2015 End of Year Survey

As soon as I saw this on The Perpetual Page Turner (check her out if you haven't already - her blog is amazing), I knew I had to do it.  It just seemed like the perfect way to round off the year of reading and to look ahead.  And so, enjoy! 

2015 Reading Stats...

Number Of Books You Read: 35 
Number of Re-Reads: 1
Genre You Read The Most From: YA Contemporary 



Best in Books...

1) Best book you read in 2015 
The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough 

This was by far my favourite from this year as it was beautifully written with an amazing storyline and just great characters.  I just adore this book.  
2) Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn't? 
Long Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough 
This one was really disappointing to me as I was so excited for it for so long, and when I actually got round to reading it I really didn't enjoy it at all.  
3) Most surprising (in a good way or a bad way) book you read?
Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher 
This was a real surprise to me as it went in a completely different direction than I thought it would, but I ended up falling in love with the story and the character so much more than I ever expected to.  
4) Book you pushed the most people to read (and they did) 
The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough 
I definitely recommended this to anyone who was willing to listen to my rambles ever since I read it.  



5) Best series you started in 2015?
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (Grisha Trilogy) 
Best sequel of 2015?
 Ice Kissed by Amanda Hocking 
Best series ended of 2015? 
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins 
6) Favourite new author you discovered in 2015? 
Annabel Pitcher
It seems strange that I only discovered her books this year, but I am so glad that I did as I enjoyed them both and I am now certain to be picking up any other book by her in the future.  


7) Best book from a genre you don't typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
 Across the Universe
I very rarely pick up sci-fi, so it was quite a pleasant surprise to find that I enjoyed delving into this genre, and it is definitely one I will now hopefully be trying to read more of in the future.  
8) Most action-packed/thrilling/ unputdownable book of the year? 
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey 
There just constantly seemed to be something going on in this book, and I honestly flew through it for a book of over 450 pages.  
9) Book you read in 2015 that you are most likely to re read next year? 
We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach 
This was another one of my favourites and one I can definitely see myself rereading and reliving in 2016. 
10) Favourite cover of a book you read in 2015?
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo 
How can you not love this cover? 


11. Most memorable character of 2015?
Tiny Cooper from Will Grayson, Will Grayson
I honestly think that without Tiny Cooper, I would not have enjoyed this book nearly as much as I did.  He is just amazing.
 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
 The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafon 
Carlos Ruiz Zafon never fails to produce beautiful writing, and this one was no different.   
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015? 
We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach 
This one really did make me question alot of things and really think about things in a different light almost.
 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read? 
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan 
I can't believe this one took me so long to pick up, especially as its by two authors I know I love.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015? 
We had yet to learn that the devil created youth so that we could make our mistakes and that God established maturity and old age so that we could pay for them - The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafon 
He said that ghosts are just stories that tell themselves 
So are the living - Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
(Because one just wasn't enough)



16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015? 

Shortest - Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn (183 pages) 
Longest -  Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld (599 pages) 
 17. Book That Shocked You The Most?
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 
Before starting this, I knew it would be quite dark and intense, but I honestly wasn't expecting it to be so gritty and to have so many twists.  


18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)?
Malec (Magnus and Alec from The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare) 

This was definitely the year I discovered my love for this ship.  They are just perfect.  
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year? 
Kurt and Isla from Isla and the Happily Ever After 
I just really enjoyed their friendship and its growth and presence throughout the book, not to mention that Kurt was an amazing side character and friend on his own.  
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously?
The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith 
I read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight last year, and this second one was not a disappointment.  
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure?
 Wonder by R. J. Palacio 
I read this solely off a recommendation from my sister, and I am so glad she forced me into reading this one, as I ended up absolutely loving it.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015? 
The Darkling from Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo/ Aaron from Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher 
These two characters couldn't be more different:  one of them is a mysterious, evilish character, whilst the other is kind, funny and probably wouldn't hurt a fly.  And yet somehow, I love them both equally.  
23. Best 2015 debut you read?
We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach 
It was one of my favourites of the year anyway, and considering I only read two 2015 debuts, this one was pretty easy. 
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Frostfire by Amanda Hocking 
I just felt as though I could picture this world so well, even when the setting changed slightly in the later half of this book.  
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
This book was just so funny whilst still dealing with deeper topics, and honestly it was just so much fun to read.  


26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?
My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece by Annabel Pitcher 
How could I not nearly shed a tear at this one? 
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld 
I've heard very few people ever talk about this book, and, although it's not perfect, I really enjoyed it and would love to see more people pick it up.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Ice Kissed by Amanda Hocking 
The ending of this pretty much killed me.  
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?
Half Bad by Sally Green 
This is simply down to the writing style, which I found so intriguing and different as it is written in 2nd person instead of 1st or 3rd.  
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa 
So many things in this book just got on my nerves, but somehow in the end I didn't hate it.  


Your Blogging/ Bookish Life...

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015? 
Bookloversblog (check her out if you haven't already - she's awesome)
  2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015?  
Frostfire/ Across the Universe 
 3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? 
A Reader Recommends
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? 
Top Ten Tuesday 
 5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015? 
Hitting 1000 pageviews 
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? 
Keeping up (with both reading and blogging) 
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?  
Top Ten Tuesday Twenty Seven - Top Ten Books I'm most thankful for 
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? 
  A Reader's Playlist 
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Not too sure...
10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? 
No, as I missed my target of 40 books unfortunately (but I do plan to reach it in 2016!)

Looking Ahead... 

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016? 
I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak 
I loved The Book Thief, so I am determined to read more of Markus Zusak's stuff as I am sure I will love it as well. 
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)? 
Thanks for the Trouble by Tommy Wallach
After how much I loved We All Looked Up, how could I not be excited for this one! 
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Love that Split the World by Emily Henry 
Just the synopsis has me already anticipating this one's release date - it just sounds utterly amazing.  
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016? 
The Last Star by Rick Yancey 
I can't tell you how excited I am for this one - I literally just can't wait! 
 5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?  
Get more involved in the bookish community and try out some different ideas on my blog 

2 comments:

  1. Great post. This survey takes so much time to do every year, I feel we should all be awarded a medal for completing it. The Game of Love and Death was one of my top reads of the year and I absolutely loved it, such a unique story. I still need to read Isla and the Happily Ever After, as I have only read the first two. Half Bad was another book I read and loved!!!

    Great answers! I hope you have a great reading year in 2016! :) Here's my survey if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know there are so many questions, but I did really enjoy filling it out (no matter how long it took!). Glad to hear that you also enjoyed The Game of Love and Death and Half Bad and I'd read Isla and the Happily Ever as it's a nice end to the series.
      Thanks and hope you also have a good year of reading in 2016!

      Delete