Friday 28 November 2014

Forgotten Friday Two

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart 



I read and reviewed this book in the summer, but never actually posted it, so here is my second Forgotten Friday post:


Review:

I loved this!  I swear when I first picked this up, I had no idea how much I would love.  It was another one of those books that I brought purely for a light, easy summer read but I cannot express how wrong I was. 
Without giving too much away (I think it’s a book to go into without knowing a thing beforehand) it tells the story of Cadence Sinclair and her family; I don’t think I should say anymore without ruining anything.
I think all I say is don’t be deceived as I was!  Although I did enjoy reading it over the summer, I wouldn’t read it if you are not open to reading a smart book with a tragic centre to its story.  That said, I did love this book, particularly the writing which reminded me of a lyrical or poetic style at times.  I adored the journey I went on with it as you do learn more and more as the book continues.  Finally, no matter how well you think you know the story, be prepared for a shocker of an ending as it truly is one that I don’t think anyone could guess.  It leaves a final blow that left me both confused and surprised. 

Quotes: 

They took the matches from her and they struck them.  The witch watched their beauty burn, their bounce, their intelligence, their wit, their open hearts, their charm, their dreams for the future.She watched it all disappear in smoke.”Tragedy is ugly and tangled, stupid and confusing.That is what the children know.And they know that the storiesAbout their familyAre both true and untrue.There are endless variations.And people will continue to tell them.”"He was contemplation and enthusiasm. Ambition and strong coffee. I could have looked at him forever.”

Songs:

White Teeth Teens - Lorde This Love - Taylor Swift Skeletons - Nina Nesbitt 

Other Books: 

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson- another story about friendship, but with a much lighter story lineYou Against Me by Jenny Downham (older read)The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky – I feel as though this is a similar book, likely down to the friendship element and darker background…          

No comments:

Post a Comment